Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Hook

Well I am working on writing a hook for my newest novel. The problem is, I have only written thirty pages so far. But there is a hook writing contest going on this weekend, and I could really use the practice. Heck, if I could write a good one for a book that is only thirty pages long, hopefully when it is finished I won't have any problems at all. (Yeah, right.)

I think it is almost easier to write a book than it is a hook or a query letter. The book can be 100,000 words, a hook shouldn't be more than a hundred. One would THINK that the shorter work would be easier. Right. I guess it must be in a writer's nature to be long winded. Or at least a writer like me.

I don't know why I wait until two days before the contest deadline to begin writing. It's pretty much the only way to force myself to work on it, I suppose.

I'm also not sure why I have three blogs when I can barely manage to update this one. If it weren't for my beautiful, dedicated reader, I probably wouldn't work on it at all. If a hook wasn't necessary for finding an agent, I wouldn't write that either.

Sigh.

I think I have gone through at least fifteen writes, rewrites, deletions, and desertions. If I had to do that with the actual book, I'd quit writing completely.

Ugh.

I'm writing on this blog to avoid hook writing. I created a new blog to avoid hook writing. I'm watching American Idol to avoid hook writing.

2 Comments:

Blogger natalie brady said...

i watched american idol too. what in the heck is a hook?

11:01 AM  
Blogger Princess Kathleen said...

It's something you put in a query letter for an agent! Ron was mocking me all night asking me, "How is the hook for your book?"

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Counters
Free Counter